SKILLS, THRILLS AND LESSON PLAN LINKS FOR THE WEEK
TIPS FOR THE WEEK
- They are meant for students to go down feet first only.
- One student at a time on the slide please.
- Slides can be propped on the side of the pool or positioned in the water. Choose the best spot in which you can keep your eyes on all students at all times.
- Slides can be turned to the side so students can crawl through if they prefer not to slide.
- Slides cannot be tipped over. For safety, they must remain in the upright position at all times.
- Our canoes are not actual canoes, they are toys to be used for fun during swim lessons.
- Please do not tip the canoe over unless all students are very confident in their swimming abilities and you are confident that you can do so safely.
- Be mindful of bouncing and splashing the canoe if you have instructors to the left and right of you. This can be very disruptive to a neighboring class is it becomes to rambunctious.
When it comes to families inquiring about the current level of their students or if their student is ready to move up please remember the following:
- There may not be space for a student to move up a level or move from a Little Flippers Class to a Swim Stars Traditional Class and we don’t want to say so and give families false hope or make them feel as if they are not getting any value in their current class.
- The deck supervisor has all of the documentation regarding skills tested vs. attained and is the most knowledgable about whether or not they are ready to move up.
- Please direct all questions regarding leveling to your Deck Supervisor.
KEEP YOUR STUDENTS SAFE!
Head on a swivel, eyes on students arms reach of non swimmers and stay outside of the box or with your back to the ropes. In addition when teaching kids that swim independently, follow the weakest swimmer.
UPCOMING MEETINGS & TRAININGS
2022 Shallow Water Lifeguard Training Classes
- Sundays in Natick from 1-6 pm each day, October 9, 16, 23, 30
- Saturdays in Winchester from 1-6 pm each day, November 12, 19, December 3, 10
- To Register Click Here!
In Person All Staff Meetings
DOOR GREETING (to be used each time a class is called in).
As we welcome our students today, please make sure that your students are lined up on the appropriate dots and have their towels and Goggles as it is a Goggle Friendly Week! In addition, all swimmers under 4 years old MUST have the proper protective layers on to enter the pool. They need to have on either: A single layer Splashabout swim product OR a double layer of any other swim diapering produce one of the layers MUST be non-disposable. Splash About products are available for purchase at the office.
Hello and Welcome to Week 7 of our Fall Session!
This week we will be working on a variety of skills.
In SwimStars Transitional we are assisting our students with entering and exiting the pool safely. We encourage them to sit on the edge, roll to their bellies and slide in when entering. When exiting, we guide them using the “elbow, elbow, belly, then knee” method to climb out of the pool. This encourages safety and independence when entering and exiting the water.
In SwimStars Prep and Level 1 we are working on all four pillar skills by having students swim to the instructor and do a supported roll over to a back float. Students may become tired while swimming and this skill encourages them to simply roll to the back for a rest if they get tired while swimming.
In Level 2 we are educating our students on breath control through the use of rhythmic breathing by introducing the pop up. This skill encourages comfort, confidence and independence in the pool by encouraging them practice rhythmic breathing while in motion which allows them to swim further distances than breath holding alone.
In Level 3 we are enhancing breath control by teaching students to swim through a submerged hula-hoop. This skill builds students confidence in swimming while completely submerged.
In Level 4 we are introducing the Backstroke. We are reinforcing the proper body position, through swimming on our backs with flutter kicks and alternating arm strokes.
In Swim Team Prep we will be focusing on Flip Turns.
As a reminder, we do have on deck showers that can be used for a quick rinse after class (no soap, shampoo, etc. please). However if you are showering in the locker room, please be mindful of others in the facility and limit your time spent in the shower and please no reserving showers. Thanks for your cooperation!
ADDITIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT FOR WINCHESTER ONLY: We ask that all customers please park in the YELLOW lined spots only. They do extend all the way around the building onto the other side of the pool. The white lined spots are for our neighbors across the street. Once again, my name is ______________ and I am available for questions or feedback so please don’t hesitate to ask. Thanks and have a great day!